This recipe makes enough for a small army or provides the family with lots of leftovers. It also freezes well for future meals.
Marvelous Minestrone Soup
- 2 lbs Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cup diced onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 small chopped zucchini
- 4 – 28oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 cups great northern beans
- 1cup medium or small pasta shells
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp anise seed
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 6 beef bullion
- 6 cups water
In a large frying pan, brown sausage in oil, then add onion, carrots, garlic, basil, anise, fennel – cook for 5 min
In a large pot combine zucchini, tomatoes, bullion, cabbage, salt, pepper, water, add sausage mixture– bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer on low to med low heat until vegetables are cooked through and soft.
In the last 15 minutes add pasta shells and great northern beans.
Serve with sour dough bread.
* Recipe has been doubled from the original and may be cut in half for smaller amounts.